Tuesday, June 1, 2010

With a pair of bottomless pits to feed, what is a single mom on a budget to do?? Welcome to FarmVille.

My kids are weird. Yes, it's true that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, but even so, there are things about the girls that baffle me. For instance, they love vegetables. They only want the spinach from their spinach and cheese quesadillas. They bypass cookies and crackers in favor of carrots and cherry tomatoes. Weird, right?

I came across a New York Times article that cited a study that found "energy-dense munchies cost on average $1.76 per 1,000 calories, compared with $18.16 per 1,000 calories for low-energy but nutritious foods." (Parker-Pope) The article is from 2007, so you can probably imagine what has happened to those prices since then with the increase in fuel prices. The whole article is a pretty interesting read.

Because produce and other healthy foods can be so expensive, I have been brainstorming some ways to make a healthy diet more affordable for my family. Our first step has been to start a garden on our apartment deck. We're growing blueberries, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, and a variety of bell peppers. There may be more later in the season. We'll be trading any extras with friends that are growing abundant gardens. I'll add some pictures of our garden as soon as it's all planted and off my kitchen table.

I thought about purchasing a share in a local CSA Farm (Community Supported Agriculture) in exchange for weekly or bi-weekly produce delivery, but they all delivered a lot more than I would know what to do with in that amount of time. Rather than risk anything going to waste, we'll be making regular trips to the local farmers markets this summer to pick out fresh, local produce to supplement our garden spoils. We've always come home with a lot of amazing fruits and vegetables and found really great deals.

Do you make and can your own pasta sauce? Do you swap unused pantry items with friends? Do you have a dairy cow for a pet? If there are things that you are doing to help keep your food budget under control, I'd love to hear it!


Food Budget Tip for New Parents: Make your own baby food!! It's cheap, it's healthy, and you know exactly what's in it. Super Baby Food was an awesome resource when the girls were teensy. It lets you know at what age you can introduce just about anything and tells you how to prepare it. All it takes is a food processor and some ice cube trays and you're set. Prepare your produce (wash, cook/mash, etc.), throw it in the food processor, then pour it into ice cube trays and freeze. Once it's frozen, pop out the cubes and put them into zip-loc bags and keep them in the freezer until you need them. Then you just have to grab a cube or two and reheat. I made a big batch of a different flavor every weekend so I always had a variety of flavors on hand and only had to do about 30 minutes of work per week.

2 comments:

Narya said...

I make and freeze all KINDS of things. For example, last year I bought 20 pounds of blueberries (cheaper than getting in pints) at the farmers' market, then froze nearly all of them. (I can tell you how to IQF things, if you want; makes them last longer.) I have a kitchen scale, so I weigh the packages/portions so I know how much is in each. I also bought beets, roasted them, then sliced and froze them. Tomatos? Slow-roasted, then frozen. (They lasted two years.) Anything that's soft can be squished to the bottom of the bag, then squeeze out the air; the cheap version of vacuum-packing. As my CSA stuff starts coming in, I'm going to do more of this, including with herbs (pulverize w/ a little oil, then freeze). I make big batches of stuff (Moosewood Low-Fat Cookbook is great for this) then freeze into lunch-size portions.

And so on. Feel free to email me if you want more info.

Steph Grant Kennedy said...

I only have the small freezer atop my refrigerator, so freezing anything in bulk is a challenge. Oddly enough, I actually DO own an upright freezer, but it is in storage because I have nowhere to put it in my apartment and my garage doesn't have power. On my wishlist for my next abode are space for my freezer and a patch of dirt at ground level for growing things.

I've heard great things about the Moosewood Low-Fat Cookbook. I'm going to have to check that out. I'm hanging onto these suggestions for future use! Thanks!

Get 15% off
your first order
use code positron
Home Essentials
Buy Home Essentials at Soap.comBuy Home Essentials at Soap.com
Not valid for existing Diapers.com or Soap.com customers. Some resctrictions apply.