Monday, February 8, 2010

full disclosure

I have expressed my desire to pay off at least $15,000 of debt in 2010.  In total, I have $35,000 in debt.  About $16,500 of that debt is student loans.  Somehow I feel like student loans are an acceptable form of debt so I need to explain that.  The rest is consumer debt in one form or another.  Here's the lowdown of every debt I'm making payments on.

Direct Deposit Advance - $550

Store Card 1 - $323
Credit Card 1 - $400
Line of Credit - $510
Credit Card 2 - $685
Student Loan 1 - $1,951
Store Card 2 - $2,800
Student Loan 2 - $3,148
Auto Loan - $4,140
Credit Card 3 - $4,577
Credit Card 4 - $5,150
Student Loan 3 - $5,614
Student Loan 4 - $6,048


There you go.  Every bit of it.  I'm working the Dave Ramsey plan.  That means that I'll be paying these debts according to the balance, lowest to highest.  This may seem counterintuitive to some who are of the pay-less-interest school.  Numerically, that makes a lot of sense, but the reasoning for paying them according to the balance is to get the momentum going.  If I paid these according to the interest rate, it would probably still result in paying some of the lower balances first (store credit cards are notorious for ridiculous interest rates), but sticking strictly to the lower balances first is going to increase the amount of money that I'll be able to commit to paying the next debt faster.

Ready... Set... GO!

1 comment:

car loans said...

Good luck on this! The course of it may be hard, but nothing beats the fulfillment of realizing a long term commitment.

Get 15% off
your first order
use code positron
Home Essentials
Buy Home Essentials at Soap.comBuy Home Essentials at Soap.com
Not valid for existing Diapers.com or Soap.com customers. Some resctrictions apply.