Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dear Target, It's not you, it's me. Well, mostly it's you...


This is how trips to Target nearly always go for me: With kids in tow, grab a cart and aim for the things on my list.  On the way to those things, I remember (or am distracted by) other things that I want to look for/at.  Gradually, my cart fills with things that aren't on my list. By the time I've located and picked up everything on my list, I've at least doubled the number of items I intended to purchase.  It is laid out so the necessities that are frequently on your list (toilet paper, milk, pet food, etc.) are in areas that require that you to walk through the entire store to get them.  I hate to admit it, but it works.

Because I always get a cart at these stores I don't see the number of items that are piling up because they're several feet away from me behind children and a pile of grocery totes and a giant bag of who-knows-what-the-girls-put-in-my-purse-this-time.  I've discovered that when I carry a basket, not only do the girls get more exercise and burn a little more of their preschooler energy, but I also see the items piling up and I feel the physical burden of the items I'm about to purchase.

However (and perhaps this goes without saying), the best solution for me has been to avoid Target as much as possible.  I buy groceries at the grocery store.  I buy toiletries at Costco if I can since they last forever.  If I do "need" to go to a department store, I make a list and do my best to stick to it. I take very little cash along to nix the impulse buys and get out of there as fast as I can.  I treat Target like a bad part of town where I could get mugged if I turn down the wrong aisle.  If I can stick to my list, I leave the store without feeling beat up or losing my money.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the struggles in MY Minneapolis family is our loyalty to the food coops and quality organics. But this is a huge monthly outlay, compared to say Cub or Rainbow. On the other hand, so much of the food at the grocery stores is crap. Kowalskis and Lunds are just as expensive as the coops. So anyway, I started shopping for groceries at Target, and their organics and house brand stuff is really good, and really low cost. I just stay away from clothing, toys, electronics, and stick to my list! I'm impressed with your site, well done. Get ready for a flood of readers from the Times (congrats!)-- Hans

Beth said...

"I treat Target like a bad part of town where I could get mugged if I turn down the wrong aisle."

This is classic! I can't wait to pass it on! I'm one of those new readers who got here by way of the Times, and I love what you're doing on this blog! Your little ones are so sweet, too! :) Enjoy being able to feed them preschooler-sized amounts of food. My grade schooler sons eat their vegetables, which is great, but now they eat SO MANY VEGETABLES...eek!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I got here via the NYT, too, and just want to say I think it's fabulous what you're doing! Keep up the great work -- very inspiring!

Steph Grant Kennedy said...

I've got a post in the works about the challenge of *good* grocery shopping on a budget. I'd be interested in getting some of your thoughts.

I'm a pescetarian (vegetarian that eats seafood) with a pair of four-year-olds with healthy appetites for fruits and veggies. Organics and locally-grown produce are important to me, but they can break my budget.

Anonymous said...

Go team, Dave's stuff works (been there, done that)! And you're right about Target...dangerous store, but a list is your friend. I have regained grocery store shopping privileges since I am a hard core 'list' guy now...no more impulsing!

One thing you might try is take your 'grocery' $ for the stuff on your list and your personal money for all other stuff you *think* you want....that will also help put brakes on the impulse!

intensity wins! and thanks for teaching your kids how to sacrifice. Long lost art...

Anonymous said...

Great info - I am here directly from the Times and am delighted to read about all you are doing to be in charge of your finances. Through your keen awareness of how to live your financial life you are being a great example for your kids.

You should be giving lectures around town and other places - even write a book - talking about your monetary practices. So many more would benefit from your knowledge. Thanks for being online so we can see that getting out of debt is possible.

Gary said...

Hi, Ms. Grant --

Read about you in the NYTimes this morning -- as the father of preemie twins (now 20-year-old college sophomores) and a Target shopper for 25 years (I still shop there to save money) I identify with your situation.

Your girls are adorable.

You are on the right path and you have a great attitude. Good luck!

Gary
New York City

rrw said...

I also found your site through the NY times article. This is a great idea and very empowering! Target is such a trap, they have so many cute things!

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,

I like the blog, but one thing I notice is that you spend a lot of time talking about items you buy.

If your net worth is negative $20,000, you shouldn't be buying anything except food and necessities. Period. Cancel the kids' birthday party party, don't get that museum membership, and don't buy any junk at Target.

What planet are you on? You need to realize you have zero discretionary income. Zero.

It sounds like you still need to grow up and find a little self-control.

Frogmatic said...

I disagree. Her income is high enough to support a few niceties while still aggressively working down her debt, as she's already demonstrated the ability to do.

Steph Grant Kennedy said...

One thing I've learned throughout this process is that budgeting a little bit of spending money is almost as important as budgeting for groceries. For my family, I generally budget about $20 per week that can be used for anything. Having a little bit of money that doesn't have a specific purpose feels like the smallest bit of freedom within my otherwise very strict budget.

Get 15% off
your first order
use code positron
Home Essentials
Buy Home Essentials at Soap.comBuy Home Essentials at Soap.com
Not valid for existing Diapers.com or Soap.com customers. Some resctrictions apply.